What is a great meal without being accompanied by a scrumptious dessert? But the problem is that most of us don’t really think that there are amazing recipes for healthy desserts at all! That is where you are wrong, my friend. If you are looking for some healthy recipes to make a special dinner for two that will leave your husband licking his fingers, you must also think of great dessert recipes to give your elaborate dinner for two a beautiful and memorable finish.
1. Yam and Berry Muffins with Low Fat Ice cream
One of the healthiest desserts you can think of is fresh based muffins, served with a low fat ice cream. These muffins are filled with the goodness of Vitamin A and Vitamin C, making them the king of healthy recipes for dessert! You need just 15 minutes of preparation time, and a 40 minute cooking/baking time to prepare this easy recipe.
You will need:
- Mashed yams, or sweet potatoes – about a cup
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar or sugar substitute
- ¼ cup margarine or even vegetable oil will do
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp grated zest of orange
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract or essence
- ½ cup wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large cup of cranberry sauce
The easy method:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F or 175 degrees C.
- Use a muffin baking tray and grease it with the oil
- In a bowl, mix the mashed yams (pre-boiled), zest of orange, sugar, oil, water, vanilla essence and sugar. Mix thoroughly.
- In another bowl, whish the eggs until fluffy. Add the flours, the baking powder and the cranberry sauce. Mix some more. Finally add the yam mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the batter in to the baking tray. Make sure you fill each muffin cup to just 2/3rd level, since the muffin will rise and be unevenly shaped if you allow the mixture to overflow.
- Bake until golden brown, which should be about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve the muffins hot, to go beautifully with chilled low-fat ice cream of a flavor of your choice. Vanilla or Butterscotch ice creams are perfect with this recipe.
2. Healthy and delicious fruit bowl
What can be healthier than a bowl with chopped fruits? Nothing, we say! So this is one of the easy recipes that also promise to be healthy and nutritious. It is perfect on a summer evening, after a light yet delicious home cooked dinner. You need just 15 minutes of preparation time and no cooking time here!
You will need:
- 1 large orange, deseeded and chopped
- 1 large apple, deseeded and chopped
- 2 kiwis, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup of pineapple
- 6 strawberries, chopped
- 2 cups fresh yogurt
- Strawberry sauce for decoration
Note: For this easy recipe, use whatever fruits are in season. What makes this one of the healthy recipes is the fact that fresh fruits is used, not the canned variety. So use fruits in season – which can be grapes, papaya and mango too.
The easy method:
- Put the yogurt in a bowl and whisk well. Ensure the yogurt is fresh. We want this to be a healthy recipe, so we will not add sugar. However, if you like, you can add in an additional spoon of honey for flavor.
- Arrange chopped fruits in a pretty transparent dessert bowl. Make sure you get a good mix of all fruits.
- Top up with some well whisked yogurt, and make sure some seeps in through the fruits to reach the bottom.
- Add in a dollop of strawberry sauce for a rich flavor. Serve chilled
So these are 2 healthy recipes for dessert that can make any day special for you and your family! Try these out…after all, not all desserts are unhealthy. And indulging in your sweet tooth once in a while is the trick to avoid cravings and unhealthy binging.