There are generally four skin types; Normal skin, dry skin, oily skin and combination type skin. Different skin types need different types of care. If you have oily skin you then your skin care routine would be different from those having dry skin. A bright and glowing skin contributes to a great extent to your overall appearance whereas a dull and problematic skin can make you look less attractive.
Your appearance can influence a lot of things in your life. It gives you self-confidence and lets you mix freely with the world without any inhibition. A bad or problematic skin can make you shy and might hamper your self confidence.
Skin is the largest organ of our body. It has three layers namely epidermis, dermis and hypodermis. It protects bones, muscles and other internal organs. It also regulates body temperature, controls fluid loss through evaporaton, stores water and lipid and also synthesizes Vitamin D and protects Vitamin B folates. It prevents essential elements from being washed away by acting as an anatomical water resistant. These are the few functions of the skin. The colour of the skin is determined by five different types of pigments. They are Melanin, Melanoid, Keratin, Hemoglobin and Oxyhemoglobin. Skin requires care and protection to perform its functions properly and remain healthy.
OILY SKIN CARE
People having oily skin have overactive sebaceous glands that produces sebum that make the skin oily. It is generally most active during the adolescence years. But people can have oily skin throughout their lives, the oily skin type typically belonging to them. The biggest problem that is caused due to oily skin is acne. It’s a very common problem and is also curable. Though its somewhat difficult to tackle when the problem is hereditary, that is if any of your family members had suffered from acne breakouts, its more likely to appear on your face as well.
1) Keep your skin squeaky clean. Wash your face with facewash meant for oily and pimple prone skin at least 3 times a day and with water whenever possible. Teatree Facewash or facewash containing Saslic acid is good for pimple prone skin.
2) Every time you wash your face with a facewash use a toner followed by a non oily light water-based moisturizer. This would keep your skin hydrated.
3) Drink plenty of water as water helps in flushing out the toxins from your body ad maintains the water balance and makes your skin glow.
4) You can use a facepack for oily skin once a week. This would reduce the oil secretion. Herbal face packs are the best.
5) Have lots of fruits and vegetables. Fruits containing Vitamin C is particularly good for your skin. Green leafy vegetables are also very good. Cut down on sugar and junk food. Avoid fried foods.
6) You can try a mask using clay or fuller’s earth. Calamine is also known to be effective for pimple prone and oily skin.
7) For excessive oily skin you can try mixing few drops of eau de cologne which would help in keeping the excess oil away and act as an astringent.
8) Before applying make up apply some cucumber juice on your face, let it dry, and then apply make up.
9) Don’t scrub your face if you are suffering from acne and pimples. It would aggravate the problem.
DRY SKIN CARE
As you age your skin becomes dry due to lack of proper hydration. As we age the sebaceous glands produces less sebum. It gradually loses its ability retain water. Dry skin is caused because your skin cant retain the moisture for long. It also make your skin wrinkled. So its very important to keep your skin moisturized all the time. Dry skin can cause a number of skin ailments, like flaky skins, wrinkles, pigmentation, xeroderma, eczema, itchy skin rashes etc.
1) In this case also drink plenty of water as water keeps your body well hydrated. Water acts as a magic potion for all skin types.
2) Use a good cream, soufflé or moisturizer meant for dry skin.Washfor face with a good cream based, non detergent, neutral pH facewash. Avoid using soap.
3) Before going for bath massage olive oil or baby oil. It would help you get rid of the dry skin.
4) Use cream cleansers to cleanse your face. This wont leave your skin feeling dry.
5) Before going to bed massage your skin with nourishing home-made cream. Concentrate in the areas around your eyes.
NORMAL SKIN CARE
Normal skin type may refer to the kind of skin which doesn’t have excessive sebum secretion neither too dry. Those who are blessed with normal skin doesn’t need to follow hardcore skincare routine. But nevertheless, taking care of your skin you would make it more glowing.
1) Cleanse your face with a good facewash. The ones with fruit vitamins are good. Don’t use bar soaps as the would make your skin dry. Clean your face as often as you can. Make sure your face is dirt and oil free before going to bed.
2) Follow the daily routine of cleansing toning and moisturizing religiously.
3) Take in lots of fluid, water, fruit juice, milk shakes whatever but avoid aerated drinks.
4) Follow a healthy life style. Eat right, drink right and get enough sleep daily. Include lots of fresh vegetables and fruits in your diet.
5) Use home made herbal masks for your skin. Use an egg face pack with one sliced apple, 4 teaspoons of oil, yolk of one egg, honey and ascorbic acid both two teaspoons and vinegar. Mix all of these together and apply it on your face. Let it dry and the wash it off with normal water.
6) Exfoliate your skin. Use apricot scrubber to remove the dead cells from your skin and reveal the underlying glowing skin.
A radiant problem-free skin can increase your beauty by 40%. It can make you look younger by 10 years as well!! A healthy and happy lifestyle is the key to acquiring a bright and flawless skin. Your skin like everything else needs to be taken care of . Hence know your skin type and follow proper skin care routines and get a radiant, glowing and supple skin.